Gov.je Health Agreement

Information on Jersey Health Agreements with France, including how you are covered The current agreement was signed in 2011 and concluded between the United Kingdom (which includes England and Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland) and Jersey. Jersey is not covered by the NHS. The cost of repatriating a sick person or institution to their country of residence is not covered by the agreement. Jersey has limited specific health care with the French government for British and French nationals who usually live in Jersey and who are registered in the Jersey Social Security Scheme. If you and your family are moving to Jersey for the first time, you and your family must pay for most health care. Once you and your family have lived here for six months, you can apply for a health card. To learn more about health agreements with other countries, contact customer service and local services on 0 1534 44444. Information on the mutual health agreement between Jersey and the UK See: www.gov.je/health/doctordentist/doctors/pages/healthcard.aspx The hospital offers a wide range of services with mutual health agreements covering specific treatments requiring treatment in UK special units. Please note; French nationals are immediately entitled to a health card under an agreement between Jersey and France. A guide to health care for people who have recently moved or returned to Jersey A Reciprocal Healthcare Agreement aims to provide emergency medical care to visitors travelling between countries. However, what care is offered, to what extent are they free and what conditions apply? Travellers are therefore strongly advised to take out insurance everywhere, even if they only have relatives. Once you have spent 6 months on the island and have paid the social security contributions due, you can apply for a social security card.

You can`t claim your card immediately, but the first 6 months are counted from the first check-in. You need a health card to get a grant when you visit your family doctor and to get free prescriptions. Children do not need their own health card. If you have a baby, take the birth certificate with you to get a social security number and a doctor registration form. You need it to take your child to a family doctor and pick up prescriptions on their behalf. Most agreements only apply to visitors for a limited time. This is often the case for temporary stays of up to three or six months and not if you live or work in another country. The host country will determine the agreement according to its own policy and decide what it considers to be emergency or emergency treatment. The agreements do not apply if you are deliberately travelling to the country to seek medical treatment.

The agreements allow visitors to a country to be treated as an established state in that country. If a resident pays for a particular treatment, so does the visitor. For more information on the cost of health care, please see the following links to gov.je: Medical expenses, prescriptions and health cards Your health card applies only to family doctor visits and family doctor prescriptions. It does not give you access to free or reduced health care in the hospital or elsewhere. A list of free medicines is available from the Social Security service. Or you can follow the link below on this page, then select ”Doctors (GPs) fees, prescriptions and health cards.” Once you have lived here for six months, you can get a health card. This will allow you to get a reduced GP fee. You still have to pay for the rest of the cost of the visit. Consider organising health insurance to cover all health costs, including possible travel for treatment in the UK.